NCEP Home > NCO Home > Systems Integration Branch > Decoders > DCMETR Decoder|
Aviation Weather Decoder
IMPORTANT: If you haven't already done so, be sure to read the
overview document that contains information
relevant to all of the NCEP decoders!
The NCEP Aviation Weather Decoder parses reports of the following formats into the
NCEP Decoder Interface Format:
- METAR - WMO FM 15-XII
- SPECI - WMO FM 16-XII
- SAO - Surface Aviation Observations, Federal Meteorological Handbook Number 1 (FMH-1), FCM-H2-1994, August 1994.
- For METAR/SPECI:
- Supplementary information:
- Recent weather phenomena of operational significance (Group REw'w') are not decoded.
- Wind shear in the lower layers (Group WS RWYDRDR or Group WS ALL RWY) are currently not decoded.
- State of the runway (RRRRERCReReRBRBR) is not decoded.
- Trend forecast fields are currently not decoded.
- Remarks fields (Group RMK ......):
- Fields from stations in countries other than Mexico are currently being checked for possible decoding, but this decoder does not decode every field following the RMK group.
- Fields from Mexican stations are checked only for the presence of the sea-level pressure (SLP) field.
- For SAO:
- Observation types of Record Special ('RS'), Special ('SP'), Urgent Special ('USP'), and Routine Delayed Report ('RTD') are not decoded.
- Sky conditions of 'CLR BLO XXX' are not decoded.
- Visibilities preceded by a '+' or trailed by a '+' are not decoded.
- Squall winds (those prefixed by a 'Q') are not decoded.
- In the Remarks section of the report, the only parameters which are decoded are:
- Synoptic cloud types (CL, CM, CH);
- Depth of snow on ground and water equivalent of snow depth;
- 3-hr pressure change and tendency;
- 3-hr, 6-hr, and/or 24-hr precipitation amounts;
- Maximum and minimum temperatures;
- Minutes of sunshine.
Change History Log:
The latest version of the decoder can be downloaded and
utilized free of charge, subject to the usual
You may click here to download a copy of the
decoder software. If you wish to be included on our "decoders-announce"
mailing list, please visit our
Decoder Announcements mailing list site
to subscribe yourself. This list is our way of informing our users whenever
we make changes or updates to our software.
Send mail to Decoder Helpdesk.